Tips on Carpet Care by Brenton Carpet Cleaning
Tips From The Domestic Goddess – Cleaning Stains from Carpets, No. 1
Keeping domestic carpets looking good starts with keeping them clean and some preventative measures like:
- always have your parties outside so no one can spill anything on your carpet,
- always keep your pets outside so they can’t leave you “presents” or have any “accidents” on your carpets,
- always make everyone take off their shoes before walking on your carpets.
While these preventative measures may work, they aren’t very practical, so preparedness may be a much better option.
Preparation starts with having a good vacuum cleaner, ingredients for several carpet cleaning solutions (see Tips No. 3 below), baking soda, surgical spirit (rubbing alcohol) and white vinegar in your cupboard, along with paper towels (kitchen paper) or absorbent cloths/towels you can use to blot up liquids that were spilled.
Probably the most important thing you can do to keep your carpets looking good is to vacuum at least once a week, more often in heavily used areas. While no one ever taught us, we here at Brenton Carpet Care, Nottingham think everyone needs to know how to vacuum carpets.
Here are a few tips to help prolong the life and condition of your carpeting.
- With the vacuum, go over an area several times to get the deeply embedded dirt and grit. One pass is never enough.
- In heavy traffic areas, vacuum using a criss-cross pattern, overlapping your vacuum passes slightly.
- Empty the dirt collection unit or bag regularly. Clean or replace the machine’s filters regularly too.
- If smells in the carpet or vacuum cleaner are a problem, put 1/2 cup of baking soda or lavender flowers in the dirt collection unit or bag. You could also sprinkle the baking soda or lavender flowers all over the carpet, then vacuum up. This will leave your room smelling much nicer.
- If your carpet is looking a bit tired, buy the cheapest table salt and sprinkle it all over the ‘tired’ areas, then vacuum up. The salt helps loosen ground-in dirt, making it easier to vacuum up.
For professional carpet cleaning that is dry in under an hour, call Brenton Carpet Care in Nottingham UK.